Meꞌphaa and Sochiapam Chinantec Keyboards
This project formalized my interest in the text input problem. While doing text input for the Meꞌphaa language documentation project it was imperative to get Unicode encoded texts. I worked with Kevin Cline to create OS X and native Windows OS keyboards for Meꞌphaa writers. We used Ukelele to create the OS X keyboards and Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (MSKLC) to create the Windows keyboards.
Upon hearing of my new found skills, language users from the Sochiapam Chinantec community asked me to make an OS X keyboard for their language. In both cases existing keyboard layouts were matched to synchronize the user experience across the OSes.
Some of the design choices in the original layouts did not make sense to me. Hence the birth of the The minority language typing experience project.
- The minority language typing experience project
- Meꞌphaa Language Documentation project
- Keyboard layout as part of language documentation: The case of the Me'phaa and Chinantec keyboards talk
- Language, Script, Orthography, and Text-input: Rating Text-input Difficulty Across Languages talk
- Comparing Relative Typing Difficulties Across Languages Using Corpora talk